sábado, abril 06, 2013

A poem for today


my clan
by Yolanda Arroyo Pizarro

Tanitia's Ink: Honor The Black Woman
http://tanitiasink.blogspot.com/2010/04/honor-black-woman.html
my family traces
una traición a nosotros mismos
our ancestry explodes

in traison

when my own brother Olué rapt us
took us to the naos
chained me, my sister, my baby brothers
my family pride was lacerated
 
during mask ceremony
in the new nation
the dancer goes into deep trance
he communicates with the ancestors
translates our sorrows thru the mask
during the ritual
this is your maldición, he said
dancers bring messages of wisdom

I decipher the meaning of the message
song, dance and music
musical instruments like in my old house
 
for thousands of years
the gradual effects
the territories
Colonial governments
systems wrecked
African drumming
shakers made of woven baskets
shakers made of gourds
rattles
Sanza,  a small thumb piano
the Ivory horn dance with the wind
hunting us
drum made of wood and animal skin
held under the arm to play
remember me my Olué traitor

No hay comentarios.:

Acerca de mí

Mi foto
Yolanda Arroyo Pizarro (Guaynabo, 1970). Es novelista, cuentista y ensayista puertorriqueña. Fue elegida una de las escritoras latinoamericanas más importantes menores de 39 años del Bogotá39 convocado por la UNESCO, el Hay Festival y la Secretaría de Cultura de Bogotá por motivo de celebrar a Bogotá como Capital Mundial del libro 2007. Acaba de recibir Residency Grant Award 2011 del National Hispanic Cultural Center en Nuevo México. Es autora de los libros de cuentos, ‘Avalancha’ (2011), ‘Historias para morderte los labios’ (Finalista PEN Club 2010), y ‘Ojos de Luna’ (Segundo Premio Nacional 2008, Instituto de Literatura Puertorriqueña; Libro del Año 2007 Periódico El Nuevo Día), además de los libros de poesía ‘Medialengua’ (2010) y Perseidas (2011). Ha publicado las novelas ‘Los documentados’ (Finalista Premio PEN Club 2006) y Caparazones (2010, publicada en Puerto Rico y España).

Seguidores